On 8 June 2021, the U.S. mission in Greece issued a Demonstration Alert, which reads in part as follows:
“Location: Athens, Thessaloniki, and locations throughout Greece
“Event: Public sector and private sector employees announced a 24-hour Panhellenic General Strike for June 10, 2021. Demonstrations related to the ferry employee strike are expected in Piraeus at Karaiskaki Square at 10:00 a.m. Additional demonstrations are scheduled at Klafthmonos Square in Athens and outside the Trade Union Centers in Thessaloniki and Heraklion, Crete throughout the day.
“The following strikes are scheduled for Thursday, June 10, 2021 (12:00am to 11:59pm), unless otherwise noted:
- Ferry employees will be on a 24-hour strike.
- Athens Metro (Lines 2 & 3) will be on a 24-hour strike.
- Athens Green Line Train (Line 1) will be on a 24-hour strike.
- Trolleys will be on a 24-hour strike.
- Tram will be on a 24-hour strike.
- Buses will operate from 09:00 – 21:00.
“Other organizations may decide to join the 24-hour Panhellenic General Strike for June 10, 2021 without prior warning. Please monitor www.apergia.gr for last minute strike notifications.”