On 7 January 2020, the U.S. Consulate General in Wuhan issued a Health Alert that reads in part as follows:
“Location: Wuhan, Hankou area
“Event: U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has issued an Watch Level 1 Alert (be aware and practice usual precautions) for a pneumonia outbreak of unknown cause Wuhan, China.
“Travelers to Wuhan should:
- Avoid animals (alive or dead), animal markets, and products that come from animals (such as uncooked meat).
- Avoid contact with sick people.
- Wash hands often with soap and water.
“If you traveled to Wuhan and feel sick, you should
- Stay home. Except for seeking medical care, avoid contact with others.
- Don’t travel while sick.
- Seek medical care right away. Before you go to a doctor’s office or emergency room, call ahead and tell the doctor about your recent travel and your symptoms.
- Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue or your sleeve (not your hands) when coughing or sneezing.”