The Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) is advising Nationals against all non-essential international travel at this time.

Existing advice for Myanmar remains in place:

The FCO advise against all but essential travel to:

  • Rakhine State, except the southern townships (administrative areas similar to a borough or county) of Munaung, Thandwe (including the tourist resort of Ngapali) and Gwa
  • Paletwa township in southern Chin State
  • Shan State (North)
  • Kachin State (except the towns of Myitkyina, Bhamo and Putao).

The Government of Myanmar has suspended all commercial passenger flights until a review of the situation on 15 May. All land borders are shut.

Take particular care in the border areas with China, Thailand, Bangladesh, India and Laos. The security situation in border areas is often volatile. Border areas have been particularly affected by military activity, ethnic militias, armed drug smugglers and the presence of landmines.

There is ongoing conflict in the north of Shan State, Southern Chin, Kachin, Karen/Kayin and northern and central Rakhine states. In these areas, travellers should be prepared for a high armed, military and police presence including passing through checkpoints. There remains the possibility of violent clashes in other border areas.

Political tension and unrest could happen at short notice. You should avoid all demonstrations and large gatherings. Don’t take photographs or videos of the police, demonstrations, military installations or military personnel.

Terrorists are likely to try to carry out attacks in Myanmar. You should remain vigilant and follow the advice of local authorities.

Health authorities have classified Myanmar as having a risk of Zika virus transmission.

Urban areas, particularly Yangon and Mandalay, can experience poor air quality.

Credit and debit cards are increasingly accepted in major tourist areas but some cards don’t work. Check in advance that your card will work.

Most visits to Myanmar are trouble-free. The most common types of consular assistance cases are related to lost passports, petty theft and road accidents.

If you need to contact local emergency services, call 199 for police, 192 for medical assistance and 191 for the fire service. You should be aware that phone operators may not speak English. Tourist Police outposts are available in Yangon, Bagan and Mandalay with English speaking officers. You can only visit these posts in person and they are not contactable by phone.